Engagement on the Gender Diversity and Related Amendments Bill (closed)
This engagement is now closed. It ran from 2018-01-15 to 2018-02-12.
Find the results
Results at a glance
This engagement took place from January 15 to February 12, 2018. We sent 46 letters and emails to community LGBTQ2S+ groups and equality-seeking organizations, affected boards and committees, and Yukon First Nations governments.
During this period and the during the pre-engagement in Fall 2017, we heard:
- Stakeholders generally support steps that positively impact diversity and inclusion and generally supported the proposed amendments for this bill. However, some questioned whether these legislative amendments were an urgent priority.
- Stakeholders shared that they wanted greater transparency and public involvement around addressing LGBTQ2S+ issues generally. They also wanted to identify priorities for specific LGBTQ2S+ legislative amendments.
- Stakeholders want clear, timely and coordinated action on the priorities of LGBTQ2S+ Yukoners and organizations. Specific requests for action varied, and included policy changes as well as legislative changes.
- We heard feedback about challenges that organizations face when asked to provide input on various government initiatives. Challenges include workloads, compensation for time and input, clear communication, confidentiality and requests for input on multiple initiatives.
What was this engagement about?
The Government of Yukon wants to ensure we are meeting the rules and social standards for LGBTQ2S+ non-discrimination. To do so, we are conducting a review of legislation, policies and practices.
This long-term project includes updating legislation to be more inclusive of LGBTQ2S+ Yukoners.
In spring 2017, we made amendments to the Vital Statistics Act and Human Rights Act.
On March 6, 2018, we tabled a Gender Diversity and Related Amendments Bill to:
- Support increased gender diversity on several Yukon government boards and committees that currently have potentially discriminatory language related to nomination and membership requirements.
- Add “sexual orientation,” “gender diversity,” and “gender expression” to an existing clause that sets out prohibited grounds of discrimination under the Public Service Labour Relations Act.
We invited feedback from stakeholders on these proposed amendments to ensure that the final bill is as inclusive as possible.
How will my input make a difference?
We are using this input to help make our laws, policies and practices as non-discriminatory and inclusive as possible.
This input will also help inform future conversations as we continue to work with LGBTQ2S+ Yukoners and their communities about how we can make our laws and services more inclusive and responsive to their needs.
This input is also informing our work as we begin designing a public engagement on LGBTQ2S+ inclusion.