Services in French: let’s talk (closed)
This engagement is now closed. It ran from 2018-05-03 to 2018-05-29.
Find the results
We will be publishing the final version of the strategic plan here.
Results at a glance
Following is a summary of what many of you told us during the first phase of the public engagement in May 2018.
- Access to health and social services in French and to emergency services at places such as Whitehorse General Hospital continues to be a major priority for the French-speaking community.
- There is a growing need for services in high-traffic locations.
- Information has to be made available in French as soon as possible after the English version is released. This is important in the case of public notices concerning public safety, for example.
- The proactive and continuous provision of services in French and bilingual signage are essential to encourage Francophones to make greater use of services in French.
- Having more designated bilingual staff who interact directly with the public is the best way to promote access to services in French.
- The principle of useful, usable and used services should be applied in setting priorities, such as document translation.
- Awareness and mobilization of government employees at all levels are essential to bring about cultural change and make the provision of services in French commonplace.
What was this engagement about?
This conversation is about what success looks like and how we can best use the new federal funding we received to improve services in French.
Over the past few years, we have laid a solid foundation to improve French language services in Yukon.
We used a strategic framework to clarify where we needed to focus our efforts. This first framework was developed in collaboration with the Association franco-yukonnaise in 2013.
We are looking forward to developing a new framework to support the delivery and the promotion of French-language services in the Yukon. This one-pager will help us make decisions every step along the way of the process of improving our services.
How will my input make a difference?
Your feedback during the first phase of the engagement process helped us identify the best ways to improve the delivery, visibility and promotion of services in French. We took your input into account in preparing the draft of a new strategic framework on services in French covering the period from 2018 to 2022.
The new Strategic Framework follows on from the 2014–2018 Plan and is part of the government’s renewed commitment to improve its communications and services in French in the coming years.