Student Assessment Survey (closed)

This engagement is now closed. It ran from 2019-02-04 to 2019-03-04.

Results at a glance

The survey was filled out by a total of 459 participants, with 89.5% participation from the six Whitehorse area schools. The other 10.5% of participants were from the five rural schools surveyed.

Of the 459 respondents, 39.5% were from École Whitehorse Elementary School and 24% were from Jack Hulland Elementary School. The other 36.6% of respondents came from the other 9 schools surveyed.

  • 82% of participants Agree or Strongly agree their school clearly explains the schedule for updating them on their child’s learning at the beginning of the school year. 
  • 76% of participants Agree or Strongly agree they are satisfied with the comments and other feedback their school has sent them on informal written reports.
  • 79% of participants Agree or Strongly agree they are satisfied with the comments and other feedback their school has sent them on the formal report cards.
  • 72% of participants Agree or Strongly agree they are satisfied with their school’s effort to tell them about their child’s work habits and behaviour.
  • 69% of participants Agree or Strongly agree their school is providing clear information on the next steps their child needs to take in their learning.
  • 51% of participants Agree or Strongly agree they are satisfied with the quality of the self-assessment on the final report card.
  • 74% of participants Agree or Strongly agree their school is sharing regular updates on their child’s learning.
  • 77% of participants Agree or Strongly agree they are satisfied with the parent-teacher meeting at their school.
  • 73% of participants Agree or Strongly agree they are satisfied with the student portfolio’s their school has shared with them to highlight their child’s learning progress.

What was this engagement about?

We checked with parents at schools who have used the new student assessment and reporting requirements for one full school year. We wanted to see how  the reporting is going so far.

Changes to the way schools are required to assess and report to parents on student learning were introduced June 2017 and are part of the changes to Yukon’s school curriculum. Changes included how report cards look and how schools informally update parents through ways such as phone calls, e-mails and in-person meetings. In March-April 2017, we surveyed parents and asked what they thought about the changes.

Schools were given the option to implement the changes over the 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2019-20 school years. Some schools started in 2017-18 and some started in 2018-19. By the 2019-20 school year, all schools will be following the new requirements.

The Government of Yukon committed to checking in before the new assessment and reporting requirements are finalized for the 2019-20 school year, to ensure we can continue to improve reporting on student learning as we implement this process at all schools.

Schools who started to follow the new requirements in 2017-18 were surveyed. Schools that started in 2018-19 and 2019-20 will be surveyed in 2020 and 2021 to ensure we capture feedback from all parents. We want to ensure parents have experienced the new assessment and reporting practices for a full school year before being surveyed.

How will my input make a difference?

Feedback was provided back to participating schools so they can adjust and improve their effort to assess and report in this new way. The Department of Education will also brought the feedback to its Assessment Committee to identify how we can continue to provide support to schools and teachers as schools continue to implement these new practices.

While changes will continue at all of our schools, we want to make sure that these new ways of reporting to parents include timely and valuable feedback about their child’s learning. Feedback from parents will help the schools adjust their efforts to report in this new way as we move forward.

Give your feedback on the engagement process

If you have any feedback on this engagement process, please e-mail kyle.nightingale@gov.yk.ca

Last updated:
2019-09-10

Send us your feedback

We will use this information to improve our services
The feedback you send will be anonymous. For security and privacy reasons, do not include personal or financial information.

Search the site

Contact us

Contact eservices@gov.yk.ca if you have a question about the site